Wills, Trusts and Estates
What will happen after I’m gone? It may be a difficult family discussion, but making sure you have a Will, and that important assets are placed in a trust can help take care of the people you love.
Why do I need a Will?
Every adult in New Zealand should have a Will. It’s a legal document that outlines what you would like to happen to your assets and possessions after you’ve passed away.
Even if you think your situation is fairly straightforward, you still need a Will. Unfortunately, if you pass away without a Will, the law sets out how your assets are divided and what you loved ones receive. Without your clear instructions set out in a Will, what actually happens may not be what you want or expect.
Making a Will can be simple. You can Book a Time to speak to one of our lawyers in Hamilton or Christchurch to get started, and protect your family’s future.
Creating a Trust
Protect your assets and support your family both now and moving forward. With a number of different Trust structures available, it’s important you seek legal advice early to make sure your Trust will fulfil your wishes in the future.
Placing assets like property in a Family Trust can protect those assets against claims on your estate, and keep them in the family for future generations.
Setting up a Family Trust involves sound advice and legal expertise. As New Zealand’s Trust laws change, Trustee obligations, Trust reviews, and Letters of Wishes may also need updating to reflect the new situation. In fact, future law changes may mean a Trust that worked for you in the past is no longer suitable moving forward.
For advice around asset protection and creating a Trust to look after your family and loved ones, contact the team at Lawhub, or Book a Time online.
What is estate administration?
Sadly, talking about your estate is another topic people avoid, but has the potential to cause big issues if it’s not sorted properly.
Administering or managing your estate starts after you’ve passed away and is the process of making sure your final wishes are carried out smoothly and with sensitivity.
By nominating Lawhub as an executor of your estate, we are able to help your family with:
- Funeral arrangements;
- Meeting with beneficiaries of your will and managing any conflicts;
- Transferring property and dividing assets as you set out in your Will;
- Making sure your final affairs are in order, and are carried out the way you wanted.
The process of administering an estate can take anywhere from six months to a year, and at each step of the way, the team at Lawhub can be there to guide and advise your loved ones through this difficult time.
Administering an estate is made more difficult if you have not made a Will. To save your loved ones stress, time and money filing paperwork with the High Court, we strongly recommend making a Will today.
If you’d like more information about administering an estate, want to check if we hold a will for your loved one or have been appointed a private Executor of an estate and you don’t know where to start, we are here to help.
Take care of your loved ones
It can be tough making decisions about your future. We are here to help you and your loved ones navigate these difficult times. To start a conversation around Wills, Trusts and asset protection, or estate administration, contact your local Lawhub team on 03 926 0040 Book Online to make an appointment today.
Lawhub: The Premier NZ Estate Planning Lawyer
It’s not a pleasant thing to have to think about, but an annual appointment with your estate planning lawyer is, arguably, one of the most important things you can do in this life and beyond.
Most people wrongly believe that estate planning is a simple matter of having a will compiled. However, that is only one part of a much larger process that involves ensuring that the assets accumulated during your life are properly distributed and that your loved ones are cared for in the event of your passing.
The Importance of an Estate Administration Lawyer
Estate planning involves much more than just drawing up a will. It is the creation of the legal documents and processes that you want following when you pass to ensure that your assets are properly distributed, and your loved ones taken care of.
- At Lawhub, your estate and will lawyer helps you take into account and plan for all eventualities upon your death. These plans include any taxation obligations and other costs applicable to your estate in the event of your passing, that may negatively impact the distribution of assets to your loved ones.
- Estate planning is especially crucial if you are, or have been married, have children from different relationships, or if you are self-employed. Effective estate planning will shield your loved ones from a host of legal problems and financial uncertainty upon your passing, including prohibiting creditors from attaching personal assets.
- Estate planning is something that has to be reviewed and revised regularly to take into account new assets acquired, changing financial circumstances, and keeping abreast of the impact of legislative and taxation changes as announced from time to time.
What sets Lawhub Apart Regarding Estate Solicitor?
At Lawhub, we will make sure that whatever happens, you can rest assured that your assets will be properly dealt with and your loved ones taken care of in accordance to your wishes. With more than 60 years combined professional industry experience, you can be confident that your estate planning is in good hands.
- We are a boutique law practice offering only the best in service. At Lawhub, you can trust that only the most qualified and professional staff will handle your account. Juniors and interns are, without exception, never allowed to work on client files.
- We leave no stone unturned to ensure that your estate planning is done as effectively and efficiently as possible. We consider the latest legislative and taxation changes, and any changes in personal financial circumstances, and other factors that may have an impact on your estate planning.
- Our ultimate goal is total customer satisfaction. We carefully recruit our highly experienced team of will solicitors from among the best professionals in the country.
Lawhub has been at the forefront of the legal profession in Christchurch and Hamilton since 2017, with wide ranging experience in property law, immigration law, commercial law, wills, estates and estate planning, and trusts.
Our professional lawyers are among the top practitioners in the industry today and collectively can assist you with a wide variety of legal services.
Contact us today for more information.